Thursday, December 10, 2015

Body Happenings

I wanted to create something that in closed around you. Something that you could get inside and would still be comfortable. Originally I wanted to incorporate a birds nest to signify safety, but the idea was later changed to a "cage."

Here I took pictures of wire that I had bent and wrapped with duct tape. I used my blow torch to get that hole like texture. ( melted duct tape has a really cool look and texture)

                                               
I attached hinges to 3 of the top ribs and 3 of the bottom ribs on each side so that they would open and close. I needed to be able to get into them and get out of them.

I spray painted the entire thing black and lightly went over the "ribs."

This is just an up close, better shot of how I used wire to create the ribs and wrapped them with duct tape.

                       



Here are  some different angles of the piece after I finished the main body of the rib cage. I was now trying to figure out how I was going to attach this onto my body and how I was going to close the rib cage.


I spoke with my professor and we decided that it would  be a good idea if I laced it up like a corset. I also tied a piece of ribbon around my neck and to the back of the "spine" for support. It actually ended up holding very well. Finally we created a video where I would unzip my dress, bearing my rib cage and untie the ribbon and slowly remove it. Eventually the rib cage will separate, open up and no longer protect me.

You can find the video at:






No comments:

Post a Comment