Sunday, December 13, 2015

Architectural Relief



For this project we had to pick two different styles of architecture that we liked and incorporate it into our design. I choose Moroccan and Indian.

I used Vellum to trace out the "windows" and cut them out. I covered them with clear tape so you could see through them.

I made a onion dome out of Balsa wood and used sanders in the wood shop. I though this was the most important part of my piece because onion domes are used in both cultures' architecture.


 
 I used black ink to pain the wood and a light wash on the pillars holding the dome. Note: Sanding the onion domes to be perfect is damn near impossible. Prepare to be covered in sawdust and leave with less skin than you started with.


I created a box, sealed it with wood glue, spray paint, ink and a few other items I thought would keep it from leaking and hung up the floating windows.
I then filled the box with water because in these cultures water is incorporated in a lot of their architecture as well. The floating windows also castes a shadow which wasn't planned, but I was completely find with.


No comments:

Post a Comment